entry of your choice
“Oh no~ reading? No.. please..” This is what I said when I got the assignment. I had to choose a dystopian book to read, and I just didn’t want to. So I picked up a novel that many people were starting to read. “It was a pleasure to burn.” This was the first line. It had grabbed my attention. I kept reading over and over and over again on this same line. It was strange but pulled my curiosity to read the book. Pleasure to burn? How can anything be pleasure to be burnt? The books were burned by firefighters. I couldn’t even imagine. In reality, all that the fire fighters do is to put off the fires on buildings or on nature, but burn the books? Isn’t it strange? They think that the book is the source of unhappiness just because it contained the knowledge of the history of wars and bad incidents of the past. Where do you think the unhappiness come from? Horrible past? No! It comes from your way of thinking. You can look out to future, knowing the past, knowing what’s wrong, and being assured that it would never happen again. I think being ignorant is a great fear I would face if I had lived in the society of the novel. I’d rather be unhappy knowing, than being happy, not knowing anything, according to this book.
Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
After I read your blog I got interest about the book you read. so I guess if I have chance to read the book that you read, I will going to read. bye
I first thought same as you. I thought this will be a awful book to read but after I read it I kept think and image. If there is a book like this I will read one more time.
I agree with you! I would rather know about something and get stressed rather tahn not knowing anything and be happy. The reason is because, for instance, if there's a great conflict around you like in friends' relationships, you should know about them and try to solve it. If you just ignore and try nothing to make things better, your life will be meaningless and terrifying. You have made a good poing, Aaron. Good job.
I really agree with you Greg! When I first got the book, I felt "Another book assignment? Oh, man!" But as I came to the first page of the novel, the words interested me and aroused my curiostiy; it kept me reading. The novel Fahrenheit 451 is indeed a great book, and I am happy that you enjoyed reading this book,too!
Post a Comment